viernes, 6 de mayo de 2011

Lauren Bertolacci: "I have always dreamed of playing in Italy"

Ficha técnica
Name: Lauren Bertolacci
Nickname: Loz
Shirt Number: 10
Position: Setter
Club: TSV Düdingen Power Cats

Voleibol
1.How did you start playing?
I used to play basketball, and I followed a very tall friend of mine to state try outs for volleyball when I was 14. She made the team and I didn't, although I was more skilled... which made me want to make the next team and work harder. From then on I fell in love with the game volleyball, worked very hard to get to a high level and have never stopped.
2. Do you have an idol?
I have two setters that I love to watch and model myself on. Yoshie Takashita, the setter from Japan, the way she distributes and runs the game is phenomenal. We play against her in many Asian  Championships and it is an honour and a huge learning experience every time. I also like to watch Eleonora Lo Bianco from Italy.
3. Which coach influenced you the most in your career? Why?
To be honest it's hard to pinpoint one, I have had so many coaches and you always are able to learn and take something from each of them. However, Yiang Jing was my first National Team coach, and gave me a huge opportunity when she selected me and trusted me to go on tour with the Australian Team in 2005. At this stage I was still very raw, but she saw a lot of potential in me, told me I had a special character, attitude and vision of the game. She taught me how to play with my height and most importantly, to never give up despite the obstacles that will come my way.
4. What was your biggest success so far?
I would have to say so far it is still being involved with my National Team since 2005, I've competed in four Asian Championships. This year I was named co-captain for one of the tournaments and it was a very big honour. I am proud of what I have achieved professionally so far, it wasn't an easy road for me and I am still working for everything I get, but there is a lot more I would like to achieve for in Europe and I will concentrate on that from now on.

5. What are your objectives with National Team?
We lost in the Olympic Qualifications in September, so we are out. 2012 will be a rebuilding year for us. My personal objective is to help build the team up for the next 4-5 years, being some good juniors through and hopefully we can start to make an impact on the very hard Asian region in World Championships and Olympics Qualifications. 
6. What are your goals for this season with your club?
Our goals were to finish top 5 after the first round, top 5 move through to playoffs in Switzerland this year. Unfortunately we missed out narrowly, and have therefore missed the playoffs. Now it is to finish in 6th position and get as many wins on the board as possible. 
7. In which other leagues would you like to play?
I have always dreamed of playing in Italy, but my mind is very open, I just want to play the best Volleyball possible. Without a doubt Tenerife was my favourite place to play so far and would love to return when the economic situation improves, but in the near future I am looking to get back into the German League and play in a European Cup team there.
8. Do you have a funny moment or anecdote to share with us?
Yes, watch until around 30 seconds! (watch the video).  It was very painful, in a tournament in Vietnam this year.


Personal
Favourite food: My infamous Chicken Pumpkin Salad.
Recommend a book: Nineteen Minutes
Favourite film: The Sandlot
If you hadn't become a volleyball player… I would probably be working as a Strength and Conditioning coach, I have a degree in Human Science and am finishing my Masters slowly :-)
Some words to finish: Volleyball has shown me a new side of life. I am exceptionally blessed to have all the experiences I have had... but nothing comes easy. You always have to fight for what you achieve, but when you are able to sit back and enjoy it you realise how lucky you are. 
Thank you for answering our questions, it is a pleasure to get to know more about you. Good luck for the season!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario