jueves, 5 de mayo de 2011

Nicole Davis: "We became more unified as a team and that is probably the most important success of the summer"

Ficha técnica

Name: Nicole Davis

Nickname: “Coley”

Shirt Number: USA, #6 (Rebecchi Nordameccanica, Piacenza, #3)

Position: LIBERO

Club: Rebecchi Nordameccanica, Piacenza, Italy

Voleibol

1.How did you start playing?
I was actually doing Martial Arts, and playing softball when I was young. My parents were tired of me playing softball, and so I signed up to try out for the volleyball team for my first year of high school. I made the 2nd team, and this is how I started playing volleyball. I was 14 years old.

2. Do you have an idol?
I idolize my Mother and my Grandmother. They are both strong and successful women, who have had a big influence on my life, and who are constantly supporting my career and motivating me to keep pursuing my dreams. I don’t really have a sports idol. There are a few athletes that I really respect and pay attention to, for example, Roger Federer, Tiger Woods, Micheal Phelps, etc., because of their success in their respective sports.

3. Which coach influenced you the most in your career? Why?
I’ve been fortunate to have played for several good coaches, and they have all had a big impact on my career at the time I was playing for them. My very first coach (Fay Murdoch) used to say, “If you believe, you can achieve”. Belief in myself has been a central construct in my volleyball journey. My high school coach, Bret Cezar, taught our team about what success actually means, in terms of effort and hard work, and what it means to be on a functional team. My university coach, Mick Haley, challenged me to be a better person, and influenced my growth from a good athlete to a good volleyball player. My assistant coach at university, Paula Weishoff, is one of the best American players to ever have played the game. She played in Italy for 7 years professionally, and went to 3 Olympic games. She helped prepare me for the national team, and has guided me through the ups and downs of competing at this level. Jenny Lang Ping challenged me to be a better teammate, and gave me a chance to learn. Hugh McCutcheon and Karch Karily, our current national team coaches, taught me how to be a more refined player, and helped me learn to read and understand the game better.

4. What was your biggest success so far?
Silver Medal at the 2008 Olympic Games. 2 World Grand Prix gold medals (2010 & 2011).


5. How do you evaluate the year 2011 of USA National Team?
We had a great season. We won a second World Grand Prix title, we dominated the NORCECA Championship, and we qualified for the 2012 Olympics at World Cup. We would have liked to, and had an opportunity to win the World Cup, and so, the end of the season was not ideal, but it shouldn’t over-shadow what we accomplished all summer long. We became more unified as a team, through all of these experiences, and that is probably the most important success of the summer.

6. What are your objectives for next year with National Team?
My goal is to make the Olympic team.

7. What are your goals for this season with your club?
My goal is to play well, work harder and smarter, and try to help the team as much as possible. Our goal is to finish in the top 8, and I think it’s very attainable.

8. In which other leagues would you like to play?
I’m happy in Italy :)

9. Do you have a funny moment or anecdote to share with us?
There are SO many funny moments on the USA National team. There are a lot of really funny girls on our team, and we enjoy making each other laugh, and acting crazy. But, I think it will never sound as funny written here, as it is in real life, so it’s difficult to say.

6-9-10_nicole_davis_olympic_tattoo

Personal
Favourite food: Mexican food
Recommend a book: Three Feet From Gold, by Sharon L. Lechter
Favourite film: Dirty Dancing
If you hadn't become a volleyball player…I might be a lawyer.
Some words to finish: It’s my pleasure to answer these questions!

Thank you for answering our questions, it is a pleasure to get to know more about you. Good luck for the season!


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario